Call and ask about our 2009 advertising rates!
(304) 354-6917

This Week In History, 11-4-10


Updated on Wednesday*:

Community Calendar


Around Calhoun 

The Publisher's Desk

Week in History

Waste Not, Want Not

Classified Ads

This Week in Photos


Hildreth Supply

Calhoun Realty

Venezia Law

Guest Book

The following reports are taken from The Calhoun Chronicle archives:


1910, 100 years ago


Bear Fork Hunting Club has finished its annual hunt. The trophy was won by Charley Starcher, who bagged 84 squirrels. He was followed by Clay McDonald, who had 81. In all, 288 squirrels were killed.


Homer Denning is now located at Spencer and we are glad to note that he is prospering. He owns and operates a traction engine water well drilling machine and is doing lots of work. He will be assisted, for a while at least, by “Scrip” Hosey of this place.


Poor old Bird Bell is no more, having crossed the Great Divide on Sunday afternoon. His death was due to dropsy. The remains were interred at old Bethlehem.


J.T. Waldo returned last Friday from Clarksburg where he was called by the sickness of his brother, G.A. Waldo, who is improving. J.T. brought his brother back with him and he will remain for some time to recuperate his health.


Minter J. Stump, the truant officer for Sherman District, was interviewing Squire Minney of Russett to know if he could issue some kind of “Habeas Corpus” papers for one J.M. Wilson to apprehend, squash and squeeze the said Wilson to show cause why Wilson should not report someone for truancy, so the said Minter J. could get a swipe at the $25 set apart by the Board of Education for no attendance at school.


1960, 50 years ago

A quiet drama took place at Calhoun General Hospital this week. Hour after hour, members of the nursing staff stayed at the bedside of one woman, and did her breathing for her.


Ida Stutler of Creston was brought to the hospital Monday evening at 8:30 suffering from what was apparently a stroke. Her breathing stopped, her heart faltered. Artificial respiration was started and powerful heart stimulants were given. All through the night and the next day, it was necessary to have someone at her side, forcing life giving oxygen into her lungs. When a nurse became exhausted with the constant squeezing of a rubber bulb, another took over.


An iron lung was made available by Camden-Clark hospital, Parkersburg, and was used for three hours until her death on Tuesday evening.



 1985, 25 years ago

When hurricane Juan made landfall on the southern coast of the U.S., it is doubtful that many residents of the local area gave the news much thought. Other matters occupied the minds of those who, scant days later, would be scrambling to remove family and possessions from the path of Little Kanawha River floodwaters.


Throughout the weekend rains, generally gentle showers which brought needed moisture to the area, no one considered flooding a possibility.


By Monday afternoon, thought turned more toward the river’s sleeping fury. Worried eyes began studying the stream. Long-time residents began to compare this rise with that of 1967. Some called friends and relatives in hope of arranging moving-parties or lodging.


By 7 a.m. on Tuesday, Calhoun was, for all practical purposes, isolated by the rising river. Paved roads and back roads were fast becoming impassible. Only hours before, families in the Southside area of Grantsville had been evacuated to area homes, churches, and the Senior Citizens Center.


River level was rising at the rate of six to seven inches per hour, even though the rains had slackened somewhat. During the night, those affected cast sometimes angry, sometimes hopeless glances at the steadily advancing, dirty brown tide.


By daybreak Tuesday, it was apparent that more than just the lowest areas were in danger. Water was approaching the 50 feet level. Still, the waters rose. By afternoon, the rains, which had stopped in the morning hours, returned intermittently.


Apparent good news arrived from upriver about noon, the rising flood had slowed dramatically in Glenville, giving hope that the worst had passed.


Still the waters crept up higher at Grantsville. Into the afternoon on Tuesday, cars and trucks poured into the Grantsville area. Some were sightseers bent on getting the best view of the flood; others were involved in transportation and moving efforts, trying to beat the floodwaters. There was no doubt that many homes and businesses along Court and Mill streets would flood; low spots there had been filling with water since before dawn.

This Week's Editorial:

By Helen Morris:

Publisher's Desk

Calhoun County Map

Calhoun Map

Important Links




Chronicle Staff

Homeland Security

WV Your Way

WV Travelers

Contact the webmaster.

Free Guestbook
Calhoun Chronicle's Guestbook

Encounter Calhoun County
SportsFuneral NoticesSubscribeAdvertiseSubmit NewsPrivacy Policy

© 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 Calhoun County Publishing, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
P.O. Box 400, Grantsville, WV 26147