Call and ask about our 2009 advertising rates!
(304) 354-6917

This Week In History, 11-18-10


Updated on Wednesday*:

Community Calendar


Around Calhoun 

The Publisher's Desk

Week in History

Waste Not, Want Not

Classified Ads

This Week in Photos


Hildreth Supply

Calhoun Realty

Venezia Law

Guest Book

The following reports are taken from The Calhoun Chronicle archives:


1910, 100 years ago


The body of a fully developed, newly born male child was found in an oil tank on Rowels Run, Thursday, by gauger Sam Fleming. Prosecutor Mathews held an inquest, which resulted in establishing the fact that the child had lived and breathed, but, owing to the fact that the body had been sub-merged in oil, and that the weather had been very cold, it was impossible to tell how long the child had been dead. With a newspaper found in the tank, with which the body had been wrapped, it is supposed that not more than a week had elapsed since the fiendish crime had been committed. The report has reached here that there is strong evidence connecting a young unmarried lady, who resides in the Rowels Run oil field.


The ban that had existed for several weeks at Parkersburg against gathering or attending schools, churches, theaters, etc., on account of an epidemic of scarlet fever, was lifted the first of the week.


1960, 50 years ago

One of the cardinal rules of fox hunting seems to be that the fox is never to be killed--and Brown Wilson is a loyal fox hunter, who has spent 40 years enjoying the sport without ever killing one.


His record is gone now. He killed his first fox on Tuesday morning. His neighbor, Mrs. Roy J. Stump of Russett, called on him for help when a large grey fox was injured by a car near her home. Apparently, the creature’s back had been broken when struck by a car, and it was unable to get away. Wilson said that it was an extremely good specimen in apparent good health, and that he regretted having to kill such a fine animal that, had it not been hurt, would have given endless joy to hunters and hounds alike.


 1985, 25 years ago

How did county, state and federal officialdom respond to the Flood of 1985 as it affected Calhoun County?


Although Grantsville did not call an official emergency meeting, two council members, Joe Virden and Larry Harris, converted the town offices into emergency headquarters, giving temporary quarters to State Police. Harris and others manned the telephone for many hours, giving out information as it was available.


Dept. of Human Services was busy arranging for emergency food to be trucked into the county. It arrived on the evening of Nov. 7. Staff worked all weekend helping distribute the food. They also helped stricken families find temporary housing. By Monday, most of the food had been distributed.


At Calhoun General Hospital, emergency  Diphtheria/Tetanus vaccine was available by Thursday, and the staff began ad-ministering free shots to anyone who had been working in the contaminated flood waters. Within 24 hours, over 150 individuals heard of the vaccine through word of mouth and had their shots. By Monday evening, nearly  430 people had received the vaccinations.


This Week's Editorial:

By Helen Morris:

Publisher's Desk

Calhoun County Map

Calhoun Map

Important Links




Chronicle Staff

Homeland Security

WV Your Way

WV Travelers

Contact the webmaster.

Free Guestbook
Calhoun Chronicle's Guestbook

Encounter Calhoun County
SportsFuneral NoticesSubscribeAdvertiseSubmit NewsPrivacy Policy

© 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 Calhoun County Publishing, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
P.O. Box 400, Grantsville, WV 26147