The southern part of Sherman
District was visited by a cloud-burst on Monday
evening of last week. It did excessive damage to
growing crops, according to Clayton T. Stump of
Staten, who was a caller at
Rush Run, Bear Fork, Big Run and part of Sycamore received the
heaviest downpours, the creeks overflowing their banks and doing great damage to
bottomland crops, gardens and homes. On Rush Run, the water quickly rose to an
unprecedented stage, flooding the home of S.W. Dobbins and washing away many
outbuildings along the stream. On Bear Fork the state road was flooded at the
Jas Ball house and six feet of water stood in the Ball house.
An advertisement placed in
Chronicle by Farmer’s Feed and Supply Center of
Grantsville has received national recognition by the
Ralston Purina Co. of St. Louis, and was one of five
winners in a contest sponsored by that company for
Mr. and Mrs. Fred Shock of received a flash camera outfit as the
first place prize winner for February. The ad appeared in the Jan. 30 issue. It
was reproduced in the April issue of “Checkergraph,” the monthly magazine
published by Ralston Purina. The half-page ad was divided into three sections,
one giving results of a pig of parlor on the Lloyd Vaughn farm, another showing
Emanuel Hersman feeding some of his fine porkers, and a third devoted to
chickens and feed.
The ad in the Chronicle was the only one selected in the 6,000
dealer Eastern division. Other winners were from Louisiana, Iowa, Oregon and
Idaho. Ralston Purina said that it was conducting the contest on a monthly basis
to encourage its dealers to use quality local newspaper advertising that
features local information.
A fire of undetermined origin
destroyed a small house on Wigner Street in
Grantsville. Estimated value of the property, owned
by Charles and Millie Holbert, was put at $20,000.
Within minutes after receiving a call at about 3
a.m., 15 members of the Grantsville Volunteer Fire
Five pieces of fire equipment--two tank trucks, mini-pumper,
town pumper and brush truck--were on the scene, but the best the firemen could
do was to contain the fire and prevent it from spreading to the back ends of
three buildings belonging to the Calhoun County board of education.
Fire chief Jerry Malona reported that there was water and smoke
damage to the maintenance building and another building belonging to the board
that had been used to store material belonging to Calhoun Historical Society,
along with school supplies.
“My men did an outstanding job,” said Malona, “and we thank god
for the fact that the fire happened to be near three of the town’s fire hydrants
that are in working order. Many hydrants are inoperable, and we would’ve had a
lot of trouble containing the fire if we had had to go elsewhere in Grantsville
to pump water.”
With the fire under control, firemen returned to the fire
station towards 6 a.m. About 7:30, they received a second call on the fire.
Flames had erupted in a few hot spots and the firemen had to wet down the embers