Updated on Wednesday:
At one time, the actual ballots used in the
election for the incorporation of the Town of Grantsville in 1896 were
still on file in the office of the circuit clerk of Calhoun County.
Small slips of paper, ¾ inch by 1¾ inches, handwritten, were used to
conduct the election. The words, “For the incorporation” and “against
the incorporation,” were written on these small slips. The voter merely
crossed out the one he did not want. When the votes were counted, there
were 27 for incorporation and 18 against, with a majority of nine voters
favoring the issue. The small ballots were sewn together and stored with
the other material concerning the election.
Everything was hand written. All of the orders and
petitions presented to the circuit court, the surveyor’s reports, court
orders, and all other papers were written by hand. The only printed
document is a certificate of publication, given by S.C. Barr, Calhoun
Chronicle publisher, showing that proper publication of the notice of
the election had been made for four weeks prior to the election. The
publisher donated the cost of the publication.
Alfred Stump was surveyor for the town. Some of the
points on the survey were marked with stakes, but others were merely
trees, such as a willow at one point, a black walnut at another. One was
“a black oak opposite Lemaster Williams’ house” and one was “a corner of
S.P. Stump’s fence.”
The surveyor’s map shows an area of 263 acres in
the original portion of the Town of Grantsville and includes within the
town all of the Little Kanawha River, but none of the adjoining land on
the north side, which was not voted into the corporation until 1936.
Lemaster Williams, Jesse Scott and Samuel Barr were
appointed commissioners for holding the election to decide the town
officials. The election process was started when 45 people signed a
petition that asked for incorporation. All of them signed under the
column “For incorporation” and there were no signatures under the
opposition column, though the actual voting was much closer. The
petitioners were all males, and the voters were also all males, since
this was 25 years before women had the privilege to vote. Only four
women were listed as heads of households in the census: Mrs. S.R. Cook,
Marie Hall, Mrs. Hattie Thomas and Mrs. Jane Hosey.
Men listed as heads of families in the census are:
W.S.D Snyder, A.R. Johnson, Hagan Barr, C.W. Craddock, E.L. Austin,
James Walsh, W.T. Roe, J.S. Stump, O.L. Petty, Dr. W.T.W. Dye, W.T.
Keener, Rev. Bud Smith, Jack Jeffreys, John Gainer, John Hamilton, M.D.
Fogle, Warren Brannon, R.M. Marshall, L.H. Trippett, Dr. J. Swetzel,
William Stevenson, J.J. Thomas, A.H. Stump, Charley Stump, Capt. A.
Knotts, A.G. Matthews, A.J. Barr, G.W. Ritchie, Jerome Hardman, William
Norman, Alfred Stump, Dr. A.C. Blair, S.M. Scott, Jess Scott, Cyrus
Hickman, J.T. Waldo, Simon Stump, Lemaster Williams, Perry Stump,
Charles Westfall, Lindsay M. Stevens, Jim King, Lemuel Huffman and
(This information was first printed in
The Calhoun Chronicle, date
unknown, and later in Lines and
Links, publication of the Calhoun Historical Society.)
This Week's Editorial:By Helen Morris:
Calhoun County Map